Tuesday 13 November 2012

All the small things.

Ahh, Blink.  That brings me back to college and my roommate and I listening to the same CD over and over again.  This, however, has nothing to do with that, it was just a good title...

from Souled Objects
Anyway, since the little monkey decided that it was fun to splash in the bath [aka our kitchen sink], it brought us to realize that we have no rug/mat under the sink, so that water goes everywhere.  It's my own fault, really.  I thought it would be fun/funny if he started splashing and having fun in the bath.  Which it is.  It's hilarious, actually [especially when daddy gets soaked and I come out unscathed].  But putting a towel on the floor wasn't cutting it [and it looked ridiculous], so I started looking into getting something to absorb some of the chaos.

I couldn't find anything that I really liked anywhere [that wasn't ridiculously expensive], and I had seen this awesome piece on Pinterest that I had pinned ages ago, and I thought, I could make something like that [obviously it won't be as stunning as these, I'm not delusional]... I can braid hair, so why not material?  Plus, having a boy makes it less likely that I'll be braiding anyone's hair anytime soon.

It was really easy to do.
Step 1: I just took a few of the t-shirts that I have thrown in a box to use for projects [I did a major clean out a month ago or so... I've also packed away all of my maternity clothes, huzzah!], and cut them across the chest, armpit-to-armpit.



















Step 2: I then cut 9 strips of fabric from each of the shirts [I actually added in two more shirts because 5 wasn't quite enough... 7 wasn't enough either, but I'll get to that].



















Step 3: Take three of the strips and tie them together.  Then I looped the fabric around the hook of a metal hanger and braided the fabric until I got to the end and tied another knot.  Letting an infant play with the braided fabric is optional.



















Step 4: Pick a pattern and line up the strips, then run some thread across the braids to attach them all together.

























That's it!  So easy - and washable [since it's just old t-shirts]!  It's a little small for a rug, but it's good enough for now.  If I ever want to add to it I can just cut the thread and add in some more material.  I might cut a little of the anti-slip mat out from under the rug in our living room to keep it from sliding around on the tile, but I'll worry about that later.

























At least that one tile under the sink doesn't get wet when we give the monster his bath!











No comments:

Post a Comment